Slated to open in the first half of 2021, GES-2 gives new life to a disused 1907-built power station that once supplied the Kremlin with its energy. The listed building, which is owned by art foundation V-A-C, is now on track to becoming a major new contemporary arts site combining the history of its building with the city’s creative energy. The world-renowned architectural practice Renzo Piano Building Workshop has led the transformation of this sprawling site, which altogether spans 20,000sqm. When it opens, this space will comprise an indoor amphitheatre-like stage along with several galleries, a library, glass-fronted playhouse, which overlooks a birch tree grove, as well as a learning centre and art residency area. Other visitor facilities will include a restaurant, café, shop and, eventually, a pier at the front of the building for anyone accessing the museum by boat. Former vodka warehouses will then be the new venue for creative workshops in specialisms such as 3D printing, ceramics and textiles. The forthcoming arts hub is located on the Bolotnaya Embankment of the Red October district in Moscow.